Monday, April 18, 2011

Fun With Magnets



I have been spending a ton of time working on building my army so when summer hits and I have more time to play I will be ready for battle. Currently the army is just in the build process and I will not put a drop of paint on my stuff until every piece I need is built. I have been playing with magnets this time around so that I can choose to swap gear when needed. This is helpful because models are a tad  expensive and having the option to swap out gear on a model instead of having to go buy a box of 5 guys so that you get two models to put a different gear layout can save money. Not that saving money is my goal because all money spent for this is play money. It has been a fun project with the magnets since I get sort of customize my guys and it is giving me experience for the next conversion that I want to do which is to make Mephiston. Just not a fan of the model so going to Frankenstein my own. Below is a pick of a assault terminator with a thunder hammer that has a magnetic arm. I will post some of my own stuff soon the camera is in a location that I am unaware of so it will be a day or two before I get anything up.

6 comments:

  1. When gluing the magnets in place do you find magnet/magnet contact works best or could you have placed them within the terminator model if you had not already painted it? I wanted to magnetize some of my vehicles to disassemble to make them easier to transport but not sure if I should paint them up first or do it before the primer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnetic models is a really cool idea... is that very normal in 40k? Or did you come up with that idea on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it easier to put the magnets in before I primer or paint and I use magnets and put them in the model it can get tricky but I find if you do it right you can't tell they are there. I will have some pics up of my rhinos and preds soon and some of my assault marines. Still kinda figuring out where a good spot for magnets would be.

    The magnet idea I got from a friend who did it to his one of planes and not everyone does it more of preference thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has become a common occurence in 40k from what I have noticed. A good number of the people I play with have been known to use them. It works especially well when your building a Tyranid army. Far to many choices for the models to pick just one configuration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a brilliant and creative idea. My brother, when he used to play 40k, would always have the problem of having to buy new miniatures so he could get an army what every piece of gear that he needed. Thanks for sharing this with us :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad to see more people using magnets to make their models easier to transport and also allow themselves the opportunity to create more diverse weapon options without having to spend a fortune on new models...please feel free to check out the Grey Knights of Titan blog (grey-knights-40k.blogspot.com) if you want some help magnetising models especially if you're nervous of how difficult magnetising can be...

    ReplyDelete